Posted by Divya Sathyanarayanan
Planned or unplanned, hospital stays can be overwhelming. Patient safety is a top priority at CHA HPMC and our healthcare teams reduce infection rates, put checks in place to prevent errors, and ensure strong lines of communication to keep patients and their families safe all the time. Jennifer McReynolds, Vice President of Quality Management, and her team of experts work behind the scenes to ensure the safety and well-being of our patients. And while they make sure you are safe, you can play an important role too. By following seven important safety tips, you can support our quality experts and medical team in providing you the right treatment and care.
- PARTICIPATE: You are the center of your healthcare team, so ask questions, notice your symptoms, and communicate with your doctors and nurses.
- KNOW YOUR MEDICATIONS: Know what medicines you take and why you take them. It is important to take your medicines as prescribed by your doctor.
- PAY ATTENTION: Make sure you’re getting the right treatments and medicines.
- EDUCATE YOURSELF: Learn about the medical tests you get and your treatment plan.
- FIND AN ADVOCATE: Pick a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate or support person during your stay.
- FIGHT INFECTIONS: Clean hands always to prevent infections after touching objects or surfaces, before and after eating, and after using the restroom.
- PREVENT FALL: Do not get out of bed by yourself and wear nonskid socks or slippers.